Friday, March 30, 2012

Be A Better Dancer

Years ago, when I was in my mid forties and teaching belly dancing, a 22 year old dance student challenged me in class to a flexibility test she had in some college class.  I lost of course. When she's 45 maybe she'll figure out that it's not so easy once your not all that flexible.  But today I was thinking that while flexibility is important to a dancer there are so many other factors that are important.  Most of us love to keep practicing the ones we are great at because that's our comfort zone.  But if you want to grow as a dancer, it might help to pick the five you are the worst at and work on those too.

Here are some I came up with off the top of my head.

  1. Timing
  2. Motivation
  3. Musicality
  4. Confidence
  5. Poise
  6. Strength
  7. Stamina
  8. Overall good health
  9. Passion
  10. 'the it factor'
  11. Balance
  12. Persistence
  13. Consistency
  14. Ethics
  15. Spacial awareness
  16. Peripheral Vision
  17. Symmetry
  18. Teamwork
  19. Theatricality
  20. Synchronicity
  21. Punctuality 
  22. Business savvy 
  23. Originality
  24. Innovative 
  25. Trust 
  26. Self-acceptance 
  27. Sense of humor 
  28. Posture

No comments: